Tea and Reflections...

Hello all (welcome new followers)! How were your weekends? I had a migraine so I spent a lot of time in bed. It broke late into the night on Saturday (with the help of Ibuprofen and a large can of Red Bull), which gave me ample time to complete my projects on Sunday.Yay!

First project up is my mirror. Now I've had this mirror for a while, a find at one of my favorite thrift stores. I think I paid $4 for it and then painted it with some black acrylic paint I had on hand. No prep work went into it (sanding, priming, etc..), so you can see that throughout the years, the paint has started to chip. I'm on the fence whether or not I want to repaint it properly, maybe even a different color (gold) but I kind of like the chipping. Does it look cheap though? 

On Thursday I said I really liked the idea of layered mirrors. For some reason, I like having mirrors around me and I know that sounds extremely vain but it's true. Perhaps it's the illusion of a bigger space, but I know I definitely appreciate the reflection of sunshine during the summer.

The process:
 I bought 3 bags of smaller mirrors at Michael's for $1.99 each.
I cleaned the mirror and used some left over Liquid Nails glue (mirror friendly) that I bought at Home Depot a while back.
I knew I wanted a more geometric look and decided not to do the same pattern in every corner. Once I laid my squares in the design I wanted (more in the corner that was broken), I started gluing the tiles down. Instead of pressing the tiles straight down, which would have gave me a flat reflected look, I added dime sized dollops and randomly pressed down at different angles.

After I was done, I let the mirror dry flat over night and in the morning I woke up to this lovely thing!
(I'm FINALLY buying a new camera on Friday, so I'll try and get a better picture later in the week.)
Here's a closer view of the pixelated corner!
 Never mind my sweats and toes but you gotta love the pink nail polish! Lol.

--

The 2nd project on my to do list were the plates I pibought while thrifting on President's Day. I got a set of four and since it was a holiday, there was a 50% discount. In all I think I paid $6 for the whole set. SCORE!


The process:
I picked off the price tags and ran all the dishes through the dishwasher.
 

Since I've wanted to design my own custom plate set for a while, I knew that using a Porceline Ink Pen was the best route to go. The ink worked great but I think I will try another type of pen next time. The pen went dry very often and even though you were instructed to press down to renew the ink, the whole process was a pain. Maybe a felt tipped pen would have worked better.

I'm soooo not a heart design kind of girl (I don't own any heart shaped jewelry, art prints or key chains. Although I do have a heart shaped tattoo on my finger....).

 So I was a little annoyed that hearts were the first pattern I decided to try. When I was drawing out my ideas, the intention was to do different pictures on each plate but it ended up looking very incohesive.

The hearts turned out cute though and so I'm glad I stuck with it.
 I'm sure you are wondering where the 4th plate is. I came up with numerous excuses as to why it isn't pictured but honestly, drawing on the left hand side of the plate was leaving the heart loped sided. My OCD appreciates perfected flaws but I was getting really angry with the heart, so I gave myself a day to relax before I tried it again.

The instructions say to let the plates dry over night then bake them in the oven for 30 mins on 350 degrees to permanently adhere the ink.

Voila! The final product:
These set of plates will be on sale in the Unknown Boutique Etsy shop to buy! Look for them soon!

I'm also going to post these 2 projects in the Project Restyle group on Flickr. It's a great source for inspiration so if you haven't already, check it out....


Happy Monday.

Love.